I Am Still Riding a Spiritual High

By October 3, 2020Christ Our Life 2020

Christ Our Life Iowa

How about you?

It has been a week since COL 2020 and I am still buzzing from the joy and the excitement of the weekend. The Holy Spirit was such a strong presence. I could feel it and so many people have expressed the same thing to me.

Rob Carey, Conference Coordinator

One thing that has happily surprised me was hearing from people who were unable to attend in person tell me how blessed they were by attending online. My daughter told me that she kept in on all day and that her three small children were glued to the TV, even during the quiet of adoration.

Another woman told us that she has a teenage son with learning challenges, and he was transfixed by it throughout the weekend.

We were so happy to be able to provide the livestream option. It made the conference available to people who could not attend in person due to Covid-19 concerns. It was also great to take the leap to live-streaming so we could make it available worldwide.

That being said, a particular joy for me was being in the presence of my Catholic community after so many months of being apart.  People told us that although they were nervous about attending in person, they felt very safe when they arrived and throughout the weekend. The precautions put in place by the Arena, the team and by our Bishop made us all feel protected.

Bishop Joensen must have felt an enormous responsibility to his flock when he said yes, that we could proceed. We are grateful for the courage and trust he put in our team, and in our mission.

If I had to pick the single most powerful moment of the conference for me, it would be the stunningly beautiful meditation from Sister Miriam & Steve Angrisano leading into Adoration and the complete silence… as Jesus filled our¬†hearts with His Love.

I would love to hear from you. What were the highpoints of the conference for you?

Join the discussion 8 Comments

• Pat Sexton says:

I am still amazed by the fact that Fr. Callaway survived his youth? He must know, that like Mother Mary he was chosen by God for some special purpose. What a heavy but wonderful burden he carries each day of his life. How I wish I could have met him. There were do many questions I wanted to ask him.
    Steve A. Is fabulous as always. He gave a mission at our parish St Leo the Great in Omaha and his wife had their last child while he was there, so I bought him a baby outfit. I could ho on and on about all the presenters because they all inspired me in one way or another. I only wish I could have been there in person.

• Karen Quiner says:

Thanks for your comment Pat. I had the same reaction when I heard Fr. Callaway speak. I agree, wouldn’t it be wonderful to be able to sit down with each of those speakers! Have a blessed day and thanks for following our blog.

• Patti says:

Thank you so much for live streaming this event! I had a VERY difficult time deciding whether to keep my hotel reservations and attend in person or stay home and watch the live stream. I was impressed with all the precautions you had in place, but the deciding factor was not knowing what precautions the hotel, restaurants in the area, gas stations, etc. were taking. If we lived close enough to be able to drive back and forth, I would have been there in person. But, living so far away, I just wasn’t ready to risk it due to all the unknown factors. I am in a higher risk category for COVID 19, so I made the decision to stay home. The biggest blessing of the weekend was that my husband also was glued to the TV. He wanted to listen to Fr. Calloway, but stayed for much more. By the end on Sunday, after the impressive Mass, he said he wants to go with me in 2 years! That would not have happened if I had not chosen the live stream! Our God is so awesome and good. He truly works in mysterious ways. Again, thank you for all your hard work! May God’s blessing continue to flow over all of you!

• Rob Carey says:

God sure didn’t create Covid-19 but as always, He found a way to turn what seemed bad for this conference into a good. (Romans 8:28)
      Praise God for His never ending creative work. Thank you for your comment Patti. We look forward to seeing you and your husband in 2022.

• Jodie Wingert says:

It took me a long time to decide if my husband and I were going to attend in person or livestream and the final deciding factor wasn’t the social distancing but the drive back and forth and the fact that I had to leave the conference twice to play for weekend Masses (leaving my husband at the Conference). So I thought that I could get a lot of sorting done while watching the Conference since we would be in our own home. Well, I couldn’t leave the TV screen! We, too, were glued to the screen and it was almost like being there with the image on our TV rather than the computer. The videos from Marijana and Magnus were so “up front and personal” that it was almost like they were actually physically present in Des Moines. The adoration time was equally all engaging and powerful. Steve Agrisano and fellow musicians/singers were outstanding all throughout the Conference and Liturgies! Everything was so “well done – good and faithful servants”. We enjoyed the comfort of our own home so we didn’t miss the folding chairs or bleachers but we did miss the personal interaction with the people who were there and could see that all of them were so happy they had come. We were thankful for their presence if for no other reason than the guest presenters who didn’t have to speak to empty seats (that was my biggest concern as was yours, I’m sure). The livestreaming was awesome – even with our disappointing internet service! I could tell that twice the interruptions were at the Conference’s side so we just prayed for the Holy Angels to help get all back on line – which they did! I am thrilled that so many could attend via livestream and that the Conference has now officially gone global! How great is our God!!!!!!!!!! Thank you to all of you who worked so hard to walk this very different path with profound results beyond expectations.

• Rob Carey says:

All of this is so good to hear Jodie. I am so glad attending via livestream was such a blessing for you. We never imagined that viewing on a screen would have such a profound effect on people. That had to be the work of the Holy Spirit!
      That being said, we sure hope to see you in person in 2022.
      And thank you for your prayers to the Holy Angels. They are powerful allies.
      Blessings!

• Mary says:

I loved everything I saw!

I’m so glad I was able to see the sun video again. I started looking for it on youtube hours after the conference ended and was very appreciative after receiving the link in my inbox!

Thank all of you for your dedication and hard work, and for offering online participation. I hope it’s offered next year online as well as in person.

Blessings to all…

• Rob Carey says:

That is our plan. We certainly hope that we fill the arena again next time because it is so wonderful to share it in person, but we want to make this available to people around the world!
      Keep on praying! That is what will change the world.
      Blessings to you Mary.